Sunday, June 5, 2016

Seven Airports in Seven Days

This time it took 50 hours to leave my front door and arrive at my in-laws home.
50 hours without more than cat-naps and 4 brave kiddos.
We bought 2 week tickets and later added in a wedding and a trip to Spain which made everything a little crazy. But it worked.

What a wonderful adventure has unfolded (and is unfolding) - and I nearly missed it. I nearly missed it by buckling down and going through the motions.

That is necessary at times, to put mind over matter and figure out something to do in the airport hallway, with a child's vomit on your pants and two hours of Sylvain waiting in the line while I entertain 4 boys. But I can get stuck here and forget to live. I can forget how cute it is that my baby gets yet another meal of cake and ice cream and is thrilled about every new step of his strange day.





The last book I read was "Life is Good" by the LIG t-shirt company (National Geographic publisher). It was truths I already know and hold to - but a lovely and timely reminder non the less.



And truly it was an adventure. We left the airport in Iceland without luggage, hired a taxi, and went to a public bath (you could rent swim suits) and had an adventure in the cold air, hot pools.

With 3 hours of sitting on a runway with nothing to do in Chicago (that messed up our whole trip) an overweight man kindly fished out packages of poptarts from his handbag and offered them to our kids (who waited nicely that whole 3 hours of nothingness)



In the Netherlands a man took us from the airport bus to our train so we didn't have to figure it out

In the Belgium airport a piano was set up and a guy played with such chipper fun music in the hall... his backpack and ticket nearby, and others moved through on their way to their gates with spirits smiling


My sons took good care of each other - accommodated and adapted.

And when a child vomited and I caught it in my hands, the bus became a connected community, offering sanitizer and kleenex from their purses or backpacks.

In Iceland the waiter was kind and accommodating and helped us figure out how to make the most of our long delay. And when the baby threw an hour fit when I wanted to sleep I listened to an outdoor concert - true I was inside and wished my hubby and I could actually go attend - but all the same. The music again made me smile.

And even the 2 hours of driving around Iceland (you have to drive away from the airport to go anywhere) was beautiful. I loved seeing that strange earth and thinking of the different life it would be there.


In Spain I thought for a moment of how without kiddos I would wander the streets and enjoy tapas with my man - but instead sat on a stone step inside the apartment and drew pictures with my 5 year old while putting my 1 year old to sleep. Do you know what? The magic isn't lost. I am embracing the magic of family and connection on the seashore of the Mediterranean or in a train through Brussels or a backyard cookout in Peoria or disciplining overtired impatient kids on a rainy day in France... it doesn't matter - it's all beautiful when I am grateful. And during the day, we did walk about this beautiful slice of earth, as a family.

The first evening we were in Spain, it was cold enough to wear a jacket, the next day deliciously hot for swimming.






And some very good fresh muscles



Today, in France, it was a perfect day of sunshine, working on wedding photos, a french market, swimming pool, chocolate mousse and coffee.

And what is better than a wedding for remembering the wonder of love


If you can, read the "Life is Good" book and connect with me in remembering to embrace this wonderful life. Even if it's the sweetness of your daily commute to the office! There is magic or frustrations in the same moment. This lovely path below made me filled with peace and wonder. God freely gave us beauty. Let's take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment